Monday, November 2, 2009

Spammy Keywords vs. Catchy Name?

Posted on 1:56 AM by programlover









Right now I am looking for an available domain to register for an upcoming project. It will be a "watch movies online" website but all the decent names have already been registered. Most variations have already been registered and while there are a few mediocre names, none really stick out.



The only names I have found so far that include strong keywords seem a bit spammy (example: something like watchingfullmovie.com). I would not mind some three word domains, even hyphenated, but most of the ones that really make sense and sound decent are gone.



Alternatively, I could go for a catchy name (examples: movie6.com, freetowatch.com, tube66.com, cinema6.com, stage6.com, ecinema.com, freecinema, netfilms.com, etc) but they obviously are not keyword rich.



I understand that for search engines the keywords can help but overall is it really worth it to have an ugly domain instead of a catchy one? I would want people to be able to differentiate my site's name from a random movie site, to the point where someone could say out loud to a friend "I watch movies for free at _____.com" and the person could type it out without any complications. Obviously something like watchingfullmovie.com is not catchy or easy to remember, and imagine if it was hyphenated!



Any opinions on which is the better route to go? I would prefer a catchy name but want to know what the proper move is for the best possible results, SE results included.



PS. I am strictly looking to get a .com domain. There are some multi-keyword .net's available that I would settle with if they were .com but it is just the weaker extensions available.



Thanks